Before Your Treatment
Before Your Treatment
1) Hygiene is extremely important specially when working on private areas. Please shower before coming to your appointment.
2) Drink plenty of water a day before, the day of, and the day after your treatment. Dehydrated follicles are more difficult to treat. Hydration will also help your skin heal more quickly.
3) There are many topical creams that are available either with or without a prescription. EMLA (by prescription) and LMX (non-prescription) are the most popular. EMLA should be applied an hour before treatment. You should apply generously and cover with a piece of saran wrap. Use medical tape to keep in place. Bike shorts over the bikini area will help keep saran wrap in place and warm the area. Heat will activate the numbing cream even more.
4) If you are having electrolysis on your face, do not wear any makeup. Please remove makeup from face before your appointment.
5) If you are having electrolysis done on your armpits, do not wear any deodorant on the day of the appointment.
6) Your diet can affect your sensitivity. Avoid stimulants like caffeine, chocolate, or sugar on the day of your appointment.
7) Avoid sun exposure 48 hours prior to your treatment to avoid dilation of the blood vessels.
8) Female clients may find that they are more sensitive during or right before their menstrual cycle and may want to avoid making appointments during that time.
9) Many clients find that taking their favorite pain reliever 30 minutes prior to their appointment makes their treatment more comfortable.
After Your Treatment
After Your Treatment
1) Following your treatment, do not touch or scratch the area treated! Bacteria are on everything and by touching your skin you are transferring bacteria from door knobs, etc. to treated areas. This will cause a breakout (white heads).
2) Do not wash or wear makeup over the treated area for 24 hours. Even washing with soap will cause irritation and possible infection period. Translucent powder is permissible.
3) Avoid perfume or alcohol-based products. They will dry out your skin. You can wipe the area with witch hazel, if needed.
4) Apply bacitracin, Neosporin, or another antibacterial ointment or cream to the treated area the night after your treatment. This will help your skin heal even faster, specially facial areas. Apply with Q-tips or clean hands. If your skin is still irritated on the second day, apply hydrocortisone cream (arnica, cortisone, Cortaid, anything with 1% hydrocortisone or hydrocortisone acetate). It is anti-inflammatory and will reduce redness and swelling. Also works on pimples! Ice can also be applied to the treated area to reduce any swelling if necessary.
5) Avoid excessive sweating if having work done below the neck. Sweat can cause bacteria to enter into the open follicles and cause minor infection. Exercise before your electrolysis appointment instead of afterward.
6) Avoid the sun for the next 72 hours to avoid the formation of brown pigment spots. Your skin defends against UV rays by producing pigment, which will deflect some of the harmful rays. If your skin is injured or traumatized it can over-produce pigment in those areas. This can result in hyperpigmentation. ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN.
7) Do not swim in a chlorinated pool for the first 48 hours following treatment.
8) If small scabs appear, do not scratch them away. This can cause scarring. Allow them to fall off naturally. This is natures way of healing the follicle that we have treated (the scabs are lymph fluid that has drained out the follicle and dried up). Keeping the area moisturize will often curtail the formation of scabs. If discomfort should occur in closely treated areas apply an Epsom salt compress: Add 1 tsp. Epsom Salt to ½ cup warm water, mix and soak up with a washcloth. Lay washcloth over treated area for 10 mins and repeat until discomfort subsides.
9) If you are prevented from coming in as soon as you would like for your next treatment, DO NOT TWEEZE! The offending hair can be clipped off with small scissors, shaved, bleached or you can use a depilatory such as Nair.
10) Remember: Some re-growth is to be expected. If you will return when the first re-growth occurs, the roots are shorter and weaker and therefor can be treated more effectively.